I followed the service manual as well as the excellent write up on this
site: http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/mr2modproject.htm to
remove the engine out of the bottom of the MR2. The reason for
removing the engine was a broken ring land on the #3 piston.
Startup video after rebuild (right click and save-as).
Engine running video after rebuild (right click and save-as).
Here are the four pistons removed:
- Bore cylinders 0.5mm over the stock bore.
- Clean and hone the block.
- Install 8.5 compression ratio forged Ross pistons, and Ross racing rings.
- Shot-pean the stock rods.
- Balance the rotating assembly.
- Install Clevite crankshaft bearings.
valve clearance was set.
- Right before starting for the first time, put a cap-full of oil into each spark plug well.
- Install and torque the spark plugs.
- Fill the crankcase with non-synthetic oil.
- Start the engine, and immediately hold the RPMs around 2000RPM for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Set the ignition timing.
- Bleed the coolant.
- Drive the car gently until hot.
- Use 50% throttle in 4th gear between 3000 and 4000RPM, then snap the throttle
shut. Use the lowest boost possible.
- Repeat 10 times, then use 60% throttle, and up to 80% throttle - repeating
each different throttle position multiple times. This should help seat
- Drive the car at under 4500RPM for about 200 miles at varying loads and RPMs, then change the oil.
- Drive as above until 500 miles.
- Change the oil again, and crank up the boost